Can a Banana set of TN Pain?

I have had two whole days with no pain, (the most lovely days in ages).

Even this morning I woke up with no pain, wait the 10-20 minutes and still I had NO pain (yippee).

However! I had a Banana at lunchtime and within 2 minutes the Neuralgic pain set in, within 10 whole minutes and I was in the same constant pain as per normal. The top back tooth was aching like hell, this is the same tooth that I had an x-ray on last week and was told its was healthy, it has no filling and no other dental work.

Does anyone else have this happen to them ?

Oh that’s a bummer, Dallas, after a morning being pain free.
Yes, I am set off by fruit acids and sweetness, be it sugar, honey,whatever. Any strong flavour. It’s a drag…

I have learned that ANYTHING can set it off. Something it ate yesterday that was perfectly fine may send me into a painful crying fetul position fit today. I have found its more the movement than what exactly I am eating so I try to avoid things that are too hard or too chewy. You may have just moved your mouth or jaw in just the wrong way. Sometimes I can’t find any darn cause at all.
I’m sorry you are in so much pain. Just remember it’s the nerve and not the tooth, even though it feels like the tooth has some vendetta against you and is tirturing you for revenge or something. The tooth is being framed by the nerve. The nerve is the guilty one! Even if the tooth came out you would likely still be in pain.
At least you got a couple of pain free days!! I hope you get the pain under control and have more and more pain free days! Maybe it’s the start of a road to being completely pain free?!?

Hi Dallas, setting off our TN comes in many forms, I love those first 10 -15 minutes in the am . Because I have no pain then it kicks in immediately, its that way every morning for me and as I have read with alot of TN sufferers. Maybe its the chewing that triggered it maybe the banana. Sometimes its nothing. This seems to be the way TN has such ahold on us creeping up on us when we least expect it to. As far as tooth pain, I experience tooth pain alot with my TN. Get confused is it my teeth or my TN . Always at dentist just to make sure, sometimes they dont know either. i have gone to endodontist because my dentist thought I needed a root canal, he did a xray said no, I abscessed 3 months later with bone infection. dentist was right. So you just dont know. Pain in my left side upper gums always pain from TN is a part of the TN nerve. This Imcan say for myself eare on the side of caution and do what you think is right for you.We know our bodies best, that I treuly believe. Hang tight Dallas!

My Best

joanne (tatto20)

Dallas, I am researching trying to figure out how the neck and possibly food can tie in to all this. I was wondering if you had been sitting in a position possibly with poor posture or with your head/neck in a forward position, like looking at a computer screen? Have you ever noticed any stomach problems after eating bananas before? Have you ever noticed having problems after eating other foods or just the banana? Sorry to be so nosey, don't feel obligated to answer. I just really want to figure this all out. I have noticed my ear pain is worse after I eat sugar and possibly wheat.

shawna

Hi Joanne,

Yes I thought it maybe the chewing, the more I think the more I go round in circles.

tatto20 said:

Hi Dallas, setting off our TN comes in many forms, I love those first 10 -15 minutes in the am . Because I have no pain then it kicks in immediately, its that way every morning for me and as I have read with alot of TN sufferers. Maybe its the chewing that triggered it maybe the banana. Sometimes its nothing. This seems to be the way TN has such ahold on us creeping up on us when we least expect it to. As far as tooth pain, I experience tooth pain alot with my TN. Get confused is it my teeth or my TN . Always at dentist just to make sure, sometimes they dont know either. i have gone to endodontist because my dentist thought I needed a root canal, he did a xray said no, I abscessed 3 months later with bone infection. dentist was right. So you just dont know. Pain in my left side upper gums always pain from TN is a part of the TN nerve. This Imcan say for myself eare on the side of caution and do what you think is right for you.We know our bodies best, that I treuly believe. Hang tight Dallas!
My Best
joanne (tatto20)

Hi, shawna, It seems to be with sweet foods that can trigger the pain, sometimes chocolate, sometimes cakes. I've been eating Bananas for years, had to change to Bananas because apples appeared to be getting too tough and difficult to eat with less rear molars..... lol

I've noticed after eating a Banana sometimes the pain kicks in, but not always.

No effect on the stomach with eating fruit.

Yes I do slump when sat down at my desk.

Yes I do tend to sit with my head forward looking at PC screen.

I dont know whether to think the pain just starts on its own or by eating, or by eating certain foods or by Tooth Hypersensitivity. My Dentist said it could be tooth Hypersensitivity that triggers the TN pain, she said teeth have microscopic holes that lead to the tooths pulp, when cold or hot substance enters these holes it can aggravate the pulp causing tooth Hypersensitivity, which then can start the TN nerve to be in pain.

I've Googled Tooth Hypersensitivity and also Tooth Pulpitis, basically its one of two things, Reversible Pulpitis or Irreversible Pulpitis. Its when the tooths pulp can be deceased which causes the tooths nerve to react, inflammation of the pulp which triggers pain etc etc................. and its from eating sweet, cold, hot foods.

Normally with Reversible Pulpitis and Tooth Hypersensitivity the pain soon subsides within seconds or minutes, its when the pain stays for hours and hours the cause is Irreversible Pulpits, this means the pulp cannot recover and the tooth will need either Root Canal or an extraction.

So I am not sure what the cause of the pain is.......

Is it a Dental problem ?

Was it caused because of Dental procedures ? (pain did start for me after a failed root canal, causing an extraction).

Is the problem caused with age, is it a nerve condition that some people are destined to get ?

I don't know anymore, I'm so fed up of all the pain. I'm in pain right now from early this morning, the pain is not as bad as usual but I'm sure it will get worst as the minutes go by. I reckon I will end up at my Dentist again by the end of the week, I'll will be begging her to take another tooth out............... the Amitriptyline my GP gave me I find it hard to accept the side-effects, so I will have to stop them again (I hate taking any strong medication), over the counter pains killers is all I can seem to stomach.

Shawna it will be interesting to hear what your study brings up, I'm sure others will also be interested.................

Kind Regards

Wes

Shawnamohana said:

Dallas, I am researching trying to figure out how the neck and possibly food can tie in to all this. I was wondering if you had been sitting in a position possibly with poor posture or with your head/neck in a forward position, like looking at a computer screen? Have you ever noticed any stomach problems after eating bananas before? Have you ever noticed having problems after eating other foods or just the banana? Sorry to be so nosey, don't feel obligated to answer. I just really want to figure this all out. I have noticed my ear pain is worse after I eat sugar and possibly wheat.

shawna

Several sources on the internet connect nerve pain and too much sugar or flactuating levels of sugar - after all, lots of diabetic patiens suffer from neuropathies. Personally, I've never been able to tell with a 100% certainty that any change to my diet made a difference (I do find some vitamin supplements helpful though). Since last Friday I've eaten 2 litres of rich ice cream after a tooth extraction and the pain is the same as always despite all the fat and sugar. I only know for sure that certain weather and a lack of sleep makes my ATN worse,