Bell's Oral and Facial Pain, 7th Edition by Dr. Jeffrey Okeson

This 560 page book was written for dentists, and discusses the nature of pain, clinical considerations, syndromes, and therapies that assist clinicians in the complicated task of treating orafacial pain disorders. This book has case reports, and photographs and is available at the ibook store.

It may be hard for some to understand. But if one has been on this journey for a while, it may be interesting for you to read a book written to educate dentists, and physicians.

I had a abscess above a previously done root canal. Myofacial surgeon said he could numb the throbbing pain. Now I hold my face to talk and eat. I feel my throat and neck tighten. Then I can’t swallow. I have panic attacks and bad dreams. I have numb gums by area where abscess was. Drs have already given me death sentence of not being able to help. I feel my gums pull and I fly into bed. Please, I am going to see someone about osteomyelitis (?) But she is so hesitant to see me. Why? Dental caused this; my MRIs and CT-scans are good. I had ultrasound on the Intraorbital nerve and it is good. I feel heavy; my whole body feels like a force is pushing me down. The worse the pulling in my gums the more pressure I feel on my body. I can’t swallow sometimes and I will be soooo hungry! No meds help.

Did he numb the whole gum area Carey? I was going to ask mine to numb the whole area - I am sick of pain - nothing helps. Mine was caused by a dental procedure also.....e-mail me if you want to ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■.

Thank you for this post. I downloaded a sample on iBooks and it is the most empathetic writing I have read about pain. Also of course the information invaluable. I will probably spring for the whole textbook.

I’ve been on this “Atypical” journey for five years and by far the most valuable thing for me is understanding at the cellular level what is going on. It makes me feel less helpless. Also it somehow makes the pain somewhat anonymous, and allows me to stand back from it a bit.

I did buy the book and recommend it for anyone who is struggling to understand their “atypical” pain. It’s a tough read but if you can find yourself somewhere in these pages it’s well worth the effort. It also provides all the medical and pain language that can be helpful when talking with doctors.

Glad it was helpful. I just found another potentially helpful read while looking at my college of dentistry monthly journals. The book is " Trigeminal Nerve Injuries", by Dr. Michael Miloro. It is the only textbook devoted specifically to injuries of the TN and their management, written by experts in the field. Its a reference book for dentists and oral surgeons for TN patients. Dr. Miloro works at the University of Illinois Hospital.

I was upset by the last book inferring that the pain was indeed psychosomatic, was should still be treated as pain never the less.

By the way your daughter is adorable.

Thanks for more references.

Actually I came away from Bell’s with the impression that it is extremely rare for trigeminal pain to be of a psychological nature. In fact, a couple of times he quotes Bell as saying something like, when I was young I thought a lot of pain was psychological but as I got older I realized that it hardly ever was.

For me it put a lot of threads together that I’ve been researching. Especially the TRPV family, and explaining channelopathies, etc. I was impressed with how up to date he is with even naming something like TRPV8M and scalp pain.

My TN, GPN, hemifacial spasm, scalp pain, occipital neuralgia…whatever the hell it is…is not from a dental injury, but I did have a lot of dental pain that was somewhat relieved my my MVD. I still have a lot of palate and throat and ear pain so was very interested to read how they intersect, all in one volume.

Not sure about reference to daughter? From her posts when I had surgery?

Are you getting anywhere with your TN?

Bellalarke