Anyone that has switched from Amitriptyline to Nortriptyline

I am considering switching from Amitriptyline to Nortriptyline. Amitriptyline has worked pretty well for me so far...but far from perfect. I still get flare ups, sometimes for a week or two at a time but overall things are manageable.

I have had side effects with Amitriptyline. Dry mouth, weight gain, fatigue, short term memory and concentration problems. I met with a Neurologist that wants me to switch from 60mgs Amitriptyline to 50mgs Nortriptyline, in one step.

I'm nervous about this. I don't want the pain to come back. These meds take quite awhile to build up and I don't want to end up in a worse situation.

Has anyone made this transition? Or used both of these meds at one point?

It should be ok. Amitriptyline is converted in the body to nortriptyline, so the effects should be nearly the same. Nortriptyline is supposed to have slightly fewer side-effects, but I would imagine this would vary from person to person.

That's interesting. I didn't know that. Amitriptyline has been pretty good to me but I want to try Nortriptyline because of the fewer side effects. Thanks lenny

lenny said:

It should be ok. Amitriptyline is converted in the body to nortriptyline, so the effects should be nearly the same. Nortriptyline is supposed to have slightly fewer side-effects, but I would imagine this would vary from person to person.