Anyone on disability - how or what made you decide to stop working?

How does one realize they can't work anymore? Is it the side effect of the drugs, the pain? Did you feel that you were jeopardizing your own ability to deal with this disorder or jeopardizing your coworkers by having your abilities impaired? I guess I'm wondering what the breaking point is as I am about there. Did you just tell your boss (or HR) that you had to leave? There is no disability where I work, so I would just have to quit as my boss does not recognize my disorder. Would like to hear any input from anyone on this.

You should research the Family/Medical Leave Act (FMLA) and how it works in your state. Generally, you can at least take time off unpaid for up to a certain number of days without your employer being able to penalize you. Of course this requires a doctor's note, etc. It's different by state, so you might want to do a google search and see what you come up with...

I am currently on state disability. I left after trying to work with this condition for nine months. The pain had become so overwhelming that I had trouble getting through a day at home, let alone a day at work. My Neurologist put me on disability based on the fact that the pain was disabling my judgement, concentration, etc. I work for a large company, so I let my boss know (she didn't have to know why or even see the doctor's note), and I did everything through HR.

I live in California where we have a state disability program, so my experience is much different than most people.

Hi,I'm from the UK so things are very different over here than for you guys, but at present, I'm on long-term sick. Initially this was due to the level of pain but now it's more to do with the side effects from the meds. Again, I am very lucky as the company I work for do pay sick pay although they are monitoring my sickness and I have another Occ Health review this week. I do hope to return to my job at some point but I know myself I would be unable to complete my role at present, one because I am unable to drive at present and two my short-term memory is so bad, both of which are so important to my job. My Neuro feels that I will be able to return to work at some point but I guess it's going to be a bit of a waiting game to see if I do eventually settle on the meds and if my memory and word searching improve to a good level in order for me to carry out my tasks. crystalv sounds very clued up about what you could possibly look into, so my advice would be to look into your options first before quitting your job just to see if your body eventually gets used to the meds, It does seems that it takes different lenghts of time for different people to adapt to the meds.

Good Luck

Mandy

It's an individual decision based on how you feel and what your job is. I am on tegretol and cannot focus long enough to do my job. I just went on short term disability utilizing accrued time off and then I will use ST Disability Insurance.

For me the side effects definitely caused me to stop working.

Tegretol controls the pain most of the time though I stll get bad twinges and occasional "breakthrough" pain which renders me unable to move for the most part.

I told my boss it wasn't fair to our clients, the company or myself to continue at this time. Fortunately they are very supportive. I am now working on getting more info on my specific situation and how to proceed, ( different drugs, procedures, etc)

One thing I have learned is that this affliction is very subjective and very individualized. Only you know how you feel and what works for you. I would advise to be true and honest with yourself and your employer. It's not your fault if you cant work due to illness, but it is your fault if you knowingly do less than you're capable of because of illness and don't alert your employer to this fact. In my estimation that is dishonest to you and your employer.

Good luck

Rick

Today was my first day back at work after 5 months off on long term paid sick leave. I am not in pain and suffer only throbbing tooth and face ache on and off. I am so apprehensive as so many say their attacks happen or pain increases when they concentrate or feel stressed. After 5 months of no alarm clocks and no long shifts, working earlies lates and nights and going to bed to rest when I needed it, I am afraid my health will suffer. But I need to know, its a job i enjoy and by going back I will find out, I do hope I am able to do it and it does not cause my condition to worsen.

D.

To your work question, I was able to retire in 2008 after a 33 year career, but had planned on working as a contractor for another 10 years. The TN and to a lesser degree, peripheral neuropathy nipped that plan in the bud because for starters I'd be required to do a lot of public speaking and air travel.

I can't tell if your referring to Social Security Disability here in the US ( as opposed to Canada or UK). I can only speak to disability in the US and the first paragraph above provides a bit of my work history which was taken from (cut/paste) from another topic thread comment by me on this Forum. I submitted my first application package for SSA Disability about 14 months ago; after six months, my request was denied. I re-applied again 6 months ago and was just notified that my package was pending and needed to be evaluated by a local SSA Disability physician at no cost to myself--all reimbursable, including mileage. Both of my application submits were thorough and well-documented.

So. Go to or contact your local SSA office. Tell them what you'd like to do (Apply for SSA Disability).

**Please start now to build a history of all your TN/Other health issues from the start of any problem(s) that impacted your work-life--Include:

-o- Health Issue(s) explanation of problems and dates;

-o- All Doctor(s) you saw, addresses, phones, dates, procedures performed and meds prescribed;

-o- If hospitalized, where, when, for what/why and all contact info.

THEN, follow all instructions you were given or mailed at/from the SSA office.

You'll be so glad that you took a few hours to gather all the above info. Use it, and then Save it for the future. It will be very helpful.

Best of Luck,

May G+D Bless You,

Rick

I had to leave a brand new - fresh out of college (at 47) job - Master's in Social Work - took me 10 years to get it!

First job was with the state / DFS working with abused children and those needing temporary placement.

The first month I got it was second month of my job...... as the job was stressful and stress makes pain worse - I finally got on meds - but they made me too loopy.

Then on Trileptal, and job searching - I must have sounded like an idiot.....

So it was the side effects that changed my life path from what I felt was "somebody" to "nobody"

With new marriage and MVD things are better but not BEST

Rick, As you probably no by now, it is routine for about 60% of first applications to be denied with the SSA. If they are sending you to an independent physician, this is generally a good thing.

Applying for disability can be a hard road to hoe in general unless you are lucky to live in one of those states in the US that has state disability like California. There the doctor recommends it and it's done. Very unlike the SSA which takes 10's of thousands of applications a month and takes forever to get a determination.

Hey Lisa,

I looked at the medical evaluation as being a positive too, because it took me one step further in the process; whereas my first attempt was simply denied. I hope we're right! Thanks for your comment. Rick

Lisa (iamrite) said:

Rick, As you probably no by now, it is routine for about 60% of first applications to be denied with the SSA. If they are sending you to an independent physician, this is generally a good thing.

Applying for disability can be a hard road to hoe in general unless you are lucky to live in one of those states in the US that has state disability like California. There the doctor recommends it and it's done. Very unlike the SSA which takes 10's of thousands of applications a month and takes forever to get a determination.

Good luck.

elstep said:

Today was my first day back at work after 5 months off on long term paid sick leave. I am not in pain and suffer only throbbing tooth and face ache on and off. I am so apprehensive as so many say their attacks happen or pain increases when they concentrate or feel stressed. After 5 months of no alarm clocks and no long shifts, working earlies lates and nights and going to bed to rest when I needed it, I am afraid my health will suffer. But I need to know, its a job i enjoy and by going back I will find out, I do hope I am able to do it and it does not cause my condition to worsen.

thanks Min, Yesterday I was aware of an increase in my face ache, I am sure this was because of anxiety, being my first day back, but today I was fine and feeling less anxious.

My dad applied for SSA a year ago and they did not deny his first application. Instead they sent him straight on to the independent medical examiner. He sailed right through that as well with no hitches and was granted SSA.

Please know that if you are denied due to the physical exam, you have a right to an appeal. At that point, if you have not already, I would hire an attorney. There is no out of pocket expense upfront. If you succeed on the third appeal, the lawyer will receive fees set by statute out of what you are awarded for back pay. Generally it is no more than 18%. However, you want that attorney because you will go to a hearing on the third appeal and it functions like a mini-trial. You will need to put on your own physician which contradicts what SSA's paid examiner says. And you need someone who knows how to object on the record, cross examine expert witneeses, and admit evidence. I don't generally advocate getting an attorney until a third appeal anyway and the third appeal is your last shot at getting SSA early.