Anyone had ATN sufferer had experience with periodontal surgery

My dentist wants me to have gum surgery to clean out gunk that has weakened the connection between teeth and bone. I'm wary of any procedure involving my face COULD make my ATN worse. I'd rather loose teeth. Has anyone had this procedure and things turned out OK/not OK?

Not entirely on topic, but for ATN, common, antidepressants are horrible for teeth decay, if nothing more than dry mouth. so why risk a procedure if you continue with antidepessants, when you may be able to address the problem alternatively. Not overly helpful but if you continue to use the potential cause, why would you consider a procedure that doesn't address the potential problem, ie potentially, and likely the medication?

hey thehoward ,

I am in exactly the same situation as you! i need to have a laser periodontal surgery in 2 months (i postponed it) And I have ATN. I dont know what is going to happen but it seems everytime a TN person has anything dental done they get worse :S but of course if you dont do the surgery then you have other problems (bacteria and tooth decay etc).

So i also like to know if anyone else has anything to add to this topic?

Also to aiculsamoth, its true that TCA's cause dry mouth, but they do so to varying extents for different people. and In the most extreme cases gums begin to recede, rather than gingevitis (which is collection of bacteria in a pocket near the tooth). I am not 100% sure but i dont think TCAs cause periodontal disease.

H

Hi,
I want to reply, but unfortunately it's not a good answer. I needed two root canals very recently. I have pain on the left side of my face. The first root canal was on the right side and it went fine. The second was on the left and it was not so good. The shot he gave me to do the procedure felt like it went right into the nerve. I don't know why I let him continue, but ever since, my face has hurt more than ever.

H,

Periodontal diseases are infections of the structures around the teeth, which include the gums, periodontal ligament and alveolar bone. In the earliest stage of periodontal disease — gingivitis — the infection affects the gums. In more severe forms of the disease, all of the tissues are involved.- wikipedia

More than half of these patients were taking two or more drugs that can cause dry mouth. Untreated dry mouth -- a condition called xerostomia -- can lead to rampant tooth decay, gum disease, bad breath, yeast infections, and other oral problems.-web md

http://cdn.intechopen.com/pdfs/29338/InTech-Antidepressants_side_ef... page 119

http://www.oralhealthgroup.com/features/general-dentistry-dental-ma...

There is plenty of evidence surrounding TCA's and oral health and xerostomia of paticular interest connected to sjogren's also connected to TN as mentioned in previous threads by other folk

http://www.oralhealthgroup.com/features/general-dentistry-dental-ma...

Not sure of the relevance of the last- but interesting none the less

haach76 said:

hey thehoward ,

I am in exactly the same situation as you! i need to have a laser periodontal surgery in 2 months (i postponed it) And I have ATN. I dont know what is going to happen but it seems everytime a TN person has anything dental done they get worse :S but of course if you dont do the surgery then you have other problems (bacteria and tooth decay etc).

Also to aiculsamoth, its true that TCA's cause dry mouth, but they do so to varying extents for different people. and In the most extreme cases gums begin to recede, rather than gingevitis (which is collection of bacteria in a pocket near the tooth). I am not 100% sure but i dont think TCAs cause periodontal disease.

H

hi haach76

I've been procrastinating. Did you go through with your periodontal surgery? How did it go? Did it affect your nerve pain any? Hope not. I am not set for laser surgery. Would that be safer? I am also afraid of going off blood thinners. My cardiologist and neurologist may want to take chances, but what's worse? Having your teeth fall out or suffering a massive stroke or heart attack? Wish I could get some assurances from somewhere or someone. So I'm writing you.

haach76 said:

hey thehoward ,

H

hi thehoward,

I was also scheduled for laser surgery but ended up canceling it :(

My TN has been getting progressively worse and I really didnt want to risk getting even worse. I mean , comparing gingivitis with TN, i will live with gingivitis no problem!

so i got me a water pik : http://www.amazon.com/Waterpik-WP-100-Ultra-Water-Flosser/dp/B000GLRREU

and I got some essential oils which is supposed to reverse periodontal disease: http://www.amazon.com/OraMD-Single-Bottle-Gingivitis-Bleeding/dp/B009GMY9UA/ref=sr_1_2_s_it?s=beauty&ie=UTF8&qid=1464386519&sr=1-2&keywords=gingivitis

and some hydrogen peroxide and im trying to see if i can get this gingivitis under control without surgery.

Sorry I dont have any useful information :( I chickened out of the surgery.

Best of luck,

H

I had treatment for periodontal disease while I was going through the diagnostic stage. I hadn’t been diagnosed yet and wasn’t on any medications. It actually did relieve the pain that was thought to be caused by the disease. Plus my teeth are healthier! It did nothing - good or bad - for the TN. If your pain is somewhat controlled, I don’t know if the procedure might set you back or not. Maybe talk to your doctor and your dentist. Tell them your concerns.