Anyone Else Miss the Fireworks Due to Eye Pain?

Last year my eyes were so bad I tried to watch the fireworks but couldn't, even with a hat and dark glasses. So I sat in a chair and listened. Talk about feeling like an invalid. I'm going to try again tomorrow night. Am I alone in this? Sometimes I feel like the world is passing me by and I am so sad....I try to be positive but, really, not being able to watch fireworks!!!

I missed them last year due to the same thing. I’m not sure about this year but with my sensitivity to sound right now I probably will. I agree with your feeling as though you are an invalid. Sometimes I think my family views me as a complete isolationist because of times such as this. The second I get home from work and run to the quiet of my room. Yesterday it took all my energy to simply go to Wal-mart with my father. I didn’t want him to feel like I didn’t want to do things with him so I bucked up and made it out of my room. Sometimes it really is hard to be active and positive. Hang in there, you are certainly not alone.

This is one club we both don’t want to belong to, but at least I know others can relate to the eye pain. I get so disgusted with people who complain about a headache, or they have too much to do. I would gladly trade my TN for a headache once in a while, or having too much to do - oh what I would give to go for a walk in the breeze! So this weekend in Virginia City there’s lots of people, a parade, an outdoor concert, so many things going on - and here I sit inside in the dark using a humidifier to see if that helps with the headache. OK, so a little pity party once in a while is OK. At least I know I’m not one in a million, i"m 1 in 25,000! Those of you on the website are keeping me hanging on at the end of my rope, instead of letting me drop off, we are each others God-send.

pastorlaura said:

I missed them last year due to the same thing. I'm not sure about this year but with my sensitivity to sound right now I probably will. I agree with your feeling as though you are an invalid. Sometimes I think my family views me as a complete isolationist because of times such as this. The second I get home from work and run to the quiet of my room. Yesterday it took all my energy to simply go to Wal-mart with my father. I didn't want him to feel like I didn't want to do things with him so I bucked up and made it out of my room. Sometimes it really is hard to be active and positive. Hang in there, you are certainly not alone.

I did miss the fireworks as well. But because of my right ear!!

Amen.

pastorlaura said:

I missed them last year due to the same thing. I'm not sure about this year but with my sensitivity to sound right now I probably will. I agree with your feeling as though you are an invalid. Sometimes I think my family views me as a complete isolationist because of times such as this. The second I get home from work and run to the quiet of my room. Yesterday it took all my energy to simply go to Wal-mart with my father. I didn't want him to feel like I didn't want to do things with him so I bucked up and made it out of my room. Sometimes it really is hard to be active and positive. Hang in there, you are certainly not alone.

Oh man… I only have the burning stabbing pain on one side of my mouth. I cannot even imangine how you feel!! I have seen those black bugs occassionally tho. I have also had blurred vision on the right from the get go, as well. AND I do get really ticked when people complain about such things as a SUNBURN or headache too!!

kim.me said:

Hi Sue, I just noticed this post, we have so much in common. I decided to go down to a park with our friends and watch the fireworks as I want to be normal. I ended up with a blanket over my head. The lights and fumes were overwhelming. I wanted to participate so badly but after the event I felt like an idiot, what was I thinking! I guess we want to be betterwhich is normal. Is your vision changing? I can hardly see myself in the mirror and at times black spots are in my vision. I always think it's a bug at first. I notice when neighbors are out I can't see them and I feel as if my eyes are twitching and I look like a freek. I have been hoping to meet someone who has a similar condition because I can't be that unique. There has to be something behind all of this besides a constant burning stabbing pain. I used to laugh to myself at one clinic where they had the pain poster and you were supposed to pick from 1 - 10 your level. I always thought where is the picture of the face with two daggers in each eye being stomped on by some mean little elf.

As for today I stay away from bright lights, smells, stores etc.

kim

Hi Kim, I couldn't watch the fireworks this year either. The first burst were VERY BRIGHT white bursts, which destroyed me. My eyesight is still OK, except for "bubbling" at the corner of my left eye, little wavy water marks in my eyes occasionally, and last week when I opened my eyes I heard a little "pop" in my left eye at the same time I saw a small bright explosion of light in my eyes. I made the mistake of having an eye exam when my eye pain first started and that destroyed my eyes (see my page). So I definitely don't want to go back to the eye doctor again for an exam. I did go back after the exam last year and all he did was look at my eyes and tell me there was nothing wrong with me except TN. I am grateful to still have good vision, but like those of us with eye problems, I am terrified of losing my eyesight. Have you been to an eye doctor? I cannot bring myself to have my eyes dilated again. Everytime I see a flash of bright light, it goes right back to the eye xam. YOU ARE NOT ALONE. I am sitting here with sunglasses on wondering how long I can type without pain. I really miss reading. When I read your previous posts, I thought, WOW, here's someone who understands!!! Love, Me. P.S. Look at the video on u-tube "When It Sleeps" - its also on the muscial dedications. That really explains the pain!

kim.me said:

Hi Sue, I just noticed this post, we have so much in common. I decided to go down to a park with our friends and watch the fireworks as I want to be normal. I ended up with a blanket over my head. The lights and fumes were overwhelming. I wanted to participate so badly but after the event I felt like an idiot, what was I thinking! I guess we want to be betterwhich is normal. Is your vision changing? I can hardly see myself in the mirror and at times black spots are in my vision. I always think it's a bug at first. I notice when neighbors are out I can't see them and I feel as if my eyes are twitching and I look like a freek. I have been hoping to meet someone who has a similar condition because I can't be that unique. There has to be something behind all of this besides a constant burning stabbing pain. I used to laugh to myself at one clinic where they had the pain poster and you were supposed to pick from 1 - 10 your level. I always thought where is the picture of the face with two daggers in each eye being stomped on by some mean little elf.

As for today I stay away from bright lights, smells, stores etc.

kim