Any treatments been a waste of your time?

I read in Scott's intro information that this is not a place to have treatments or medications recommended. I certainly understand the wisdom of that. But as I said on "my page" (I'm still finding my way around here), I am wanting to know if there are any treatments on which I shouldn't waste my time. I realize you can't recommend something or not recommend something for me based on if we think it will work or not, but for example, I have read of people having root canals and that was a waste of their time because it wasn't the cause of the problem after all. As I said on "my page", I will not take SSRIs or SNRIs, so THAT would be a waste of my time. I want to know what is likely to afford a more permanent relief, and if some of the accepted reliefs have intolerable side effects. For example, I'd probably be able to accept some face immobility if a nerve rhizotomy or ablation would permanently prevent the pain I experienced two nights ago. But I won't accept what an SSRI or SNRI would do to me; been there done that (for other reasons) and I'm not going there again.

Stella: Many of the questions you have asked are addressed in the articles under our "Face Pain Info" tab in the menu above. Others are accessible through the Resources page. Feel free to come back with specific questions from that reading.

Regards, Red

Sorry, can you tell me what SSRIs and SNRIs are? I am a little dense sometimes, lol

SSRI: Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor

SNRI: Serotonin Norepinephrin Reuptake Inhibitor

Both are anti-depressant meds which reduce the body's natural "clearance" or reduction of blood chemicals which control depression, mood, and emotional affect.Their action is somewhat different from the tri-cyclic antidepressants and tranquilizers.

Regards, Red

Thank You very much Red, I didn't want to miss out on anything.

Depression is a very big part of this condition I think and I sure don't like it.

Thanks for the directions to the information. I am back home now for at least a few days and should have a chance to read them.

Richard A. "Red" Lawhern said:

Stella: Many of the questions you have asked are addressed in the articles under our "Face Pain Info" tab in the menu above. Others are accessible through the Resources page. Feel free to come back with specific questions from that reading.

Regards, Red

As Red said, they are classes of antidepressants. But they are also being used for pain relief; duloxetine (Cymbalta) for example. Well-known SSRIs: Lexapro, Celexa, Luvox, Paxil, Zoloft, Prozac. Common SNRIs: Cymbalta, Serzone, Effexor.

Maddy said:

Sorry, can you tell me what SSRIs and SNRIs are? I am a little dense sometimes, lol

I take Effexor and Amitriptyline and Trileptal and topamax . All for pain. Effexor mostly for depression but it also helps with the pain an added benefit!! I also take oxycodone for breakthru pain. SO I have one SNRI and one that is a tricyclic anti drepressant. So far so good. But I haven't taken them together but for only a couple of weeks. The effexor I have taken for eight months. The amitriptyline has really been very helpful tho, so I'm not giving it up if I have to let one of them go. LOL Peace, Min