Anti-inflammatories?

Just curious my friends,

When I've been treated at the ER for pain - they try morphine, which does NOTHING except make me hallucinate and go into a waking dream state where the pain remains throughout the whole experience.

Another med, the first one introduced to me by a rural hospital was an injection of an anti-inflammatory medicine called "Ketorolac" (Toradol). Toradol, does have a small component of pain killing medication included in it's effect, but basically it's a hospital strength injection of the anti-inflammatory med.

My curious point here is that any time I've been treated with an opiate - usually does nothing for me - but any time I'm treated with anti-inflammatories + pain meds = pain free within 15 minutes, sometimes as little as 5 minutes later!

This Toradol / Ketorolac is also available as a pill form, but doesn't help me.

The catch to this med is used to much can cause damage to the stomach walls and cause ulcers etc plus goodness knows what else - however it is NOT a med you can become dependant on as it has no addictive properties. So after having many of these shots the past few years, the doctors become more and more reluctant to administere these injections for me.

But in my worst pain moments - this med is a lifesaver. Ok, on a very few pain attacks by the monster - even that med would not help and I simply lay on a hospital gurney in an ER without any means of pain relief.

I am curious if anyone has tried any kind of relief from their facial pain in treatment also with anti-inflammatory medicines, such as:

Toradol / Ketorolac

Ibuprofen / Brufen

Prednisone / other steroids

NSAIDS

And so on ....

Has anyone used Dilaudid? On this pain med comparison chart I just read thanks to whoever linked it: http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/medicine/painkiller-comparison.htm

It shows Dilaudid to be top of the list with Morphine ranked # 2. I'm just trying to work out what meds I am entitled to here in Australia - and what others experiences are - firstly with anti-inflammatory use - did it help you? And 2nd on your experiences with the different opiates.

Thanks my friends!

Hi Kerry;

It was me that put that pain chart there. I'm so frustrated. I just wrote replies to both of your questions complete with references online, then had to take a break, left the computer on this page, came back to finish up, and suddenly the 2 replies disappeared! Trying again, but this time saving it to WORD first, then will cut and paste to here.

I have used dilaudid pills and injections. The manufacturers put a nauseant in the pills and in morphine pills as well, so that people will be discouraged from abusing them or taking too many or crushing and snorting them, so you need an anti-nauseant when you take them. The pills were not helpful for me. I think dilaudid is about 8 times stronger than morphine, so they gave me 3 mg. 3 x 8= 24 mg of morphine which isn't much help for me because I'm already on 30 mg twice a day of morphine. I guess a higher dose might have helped, but then there is more naussea also.

When I end up in the E.R., they give me injectable dilaudid, and that works wonderfully, especially for people like me who have become a bit tolerant to the morphine.

Wishing you pain free days,

Sheila

I have been given prescription strength anti-inflammatories, but they didn't help, and they caused me stomach problems and kidney problems. I have tried ibuprofen on top of my opiate meds when the pain is extra bad, and it does help some, because ibuprofen also has some muscle relaxant qualities. Diclofenac and ketoprophen are the best anti-inflammatory to use for nerve pain, according to wikipedia.

The results vary in each case, with varying degrees of the attenuation of the burning, tingling, and/or shooting component of neuralgic pain being quite frequent, along with a modest reduction in overall pain level in some cases. In severe cases and those involving multiple conditions in addition to the cause of the neuralgia, there is no substitute for comprehensive palliative therapy including systemic NSAIDs, opioids, muscle relaxants, intermittent corticosteroids and other agents if needed and adjuncts & potentiators to increase the power of the analgesics in addition to the topical preparation and physical and alternative modalities such as physiotherapy, acupuncture, biofeedback & related modalities, nutritional approaches and many others relevant to each case. Even the addition of the opioid tramadol to topical preparations is not known to be an adequate replacement for systemic opioids in cases where they can be useful and efficacious.

Ketoprofen can also be used for treatment of some pain, especially nerve pain like sciatica, post-herpetic neuralgia and referred pain for radiculopathy, in the form of a cream, ointment, liquid, spray, or gel which also contains ketamine and lidocaine, along with other agents which may be useful such as cyclobenzaprine, amitryptiline, acyclovir, gabapentin, orphenadrine and other drugs used as NSAIDs or adjuvant, atypical or potentiators for pain treatment. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ketoprofen

Sorry I can't turn off the italics now. When diclofenac or ketoprophen are put into a cream or gel, it has never caused me problems, and it has given me some numbng quality as well as some muscle relaxant qualities and some anti-inflammatory elements.

I have tried toradol pills, they were more useless than baby aspirin, or even water. I was given toradol injections in the hospital, and they might as well have injected water there too. The Dr. got very mad at me and told me that this drug is used in war, and stops pain of soldiers who get shot and lose limbs, so it's impossible for me not to have relief. Since then, they have learned that it works better with men than with women in general. However one friend of mine is allowed to take home 5 doses of injectable toradol, to keep her out of the E.R. She says it helps her a lot, but not as much as morphine. I think her pain is inflammatory in nature, so it helps her, but my pain is nerve pain, so it doesn't help me.

We all need to experiment though, and find our own combination of treatments that help us. Anti-inflammatories might help others if taken along with opiates or anti-seizure meds. They can help you lower your dosage of opiates in some cases.

In most TN cases, the nerve is not inflammed, so anti-inflammatories are not the first choice. Nerve pain is much harder to handle than inflammation. I hope you can find the right combination for you.

Best wishes, Sheila