A poll of sorts - what country are you in and what meds are you prescribed with for your TN or associative conditions?

A poll of sorts - what country are you in and what meds are you prescribed with for your TN or associative conditions?

Dear friends and members of LwTN,

I am curious as to what is available in other countries for the treatment of Trigeminal Neuralgia and other face pain disorders - so in brief, could you please reply with your country of residence, what condition you are diagnosed with and what meds you are prescribed, if this is not too personal an intrusion??

I will start.

Australia. TN1. Tegretol, Gabapentin, Cymbalta & Baclofen.

Cheers,

Kerry.

Hi Kerry,
US. Typical TN. Currently gabapentin, trileptal, klonpin and tylenol 3. Past meds: tegretol, cymbalta, lyrica, prednisone, ultram, baclofen, soma, nerve blocks with alcohol and steroids (may have forgotten some)

USA

TN1/Active

Neurontin (Gaba) 600mg

Baclofen 40mg

Associative Conditions: see also; http://www.livingwithtn.org/profile/BobSnodgrass

"...if this is not too personal an intrusion??" I guess not. bob

Hi Kerry,

USA. TN2: Regular daily doses: gabapentin, trileptal, lamictal, nortriptyline, methdone.

For pain, as needed: dilaudid, toradol, valium all at once.

In ER: IV dilaudid + toradol + benadryl (synergistic to enhance effect of other two)

Hope this helps,

Lily

israel - TN2 left side

tegretol, cymbalta, lyrica, amitriptyline, lidocaine + magnesium Infusion, zostrix

i am working on getting cannabis Medical certificate right now.

UK
Bilateral TN1, Tegretol 200mg (previous), Amitriptyline 20mg (current)

Hi Kerry,

England, I am on 2700 mg Gabapentin daily split into 3 doses, with Liquid morphine that I can take every 2 hours. TN on left side

Very interested in this, Off to see new consultant tomorrow so medication might change.

Hi, Kerry.

US - Bilateral ATN

Cymbalta, Neurontin, Oxycodone (no APAP) and Diazepam.

Australia as well and prebagalin after tegretol

also forgot general over the counter pain relief and vodka

USA, ohio...TN2, left side.

Tegretol 1000mg a day and fentanyl pain patch

Margaret here from England

TN Left side

Went to see consultant today increased my gabapentin to 3300mg a day 1200mg in a morning and evening and 900mg midday. Also have to havve MRI scan again. Trying to get me off the morphine. Did talk about having second MVD but I am not keen, the last one cost me my hearing and only pain free for 2 years.

Oh, I forgot to mention - I do have a medical cannabis card, and I'm having the best luck with the cannabis salve - I cannot tolerate the side effects of it ingested or smoked - however they are now growing strains with low THC but high cannaboid levels, as studies have found that these are also active agents for pain relief. Can't wait till they have that perfected.

In addition, I forgot to mention that I also have a salve of 6%gabapentin, 10% Ketamine, 10% Lidocaine (I mix it with the cannabis salve). This does give me some relief. Kerry - maybe you can request this combo salve (w/out the cannabis :o) ) from your pain docs - it's pretty benign and non-opiate based.

Wishing all here a pain-free day!

Lily

Lily said:

Hi Kerry,

USA. TN2: Regular daily doses: gabapentin, trileptal, lamictal, nortriptyline, methdone.

For pain, as needed: dilaudid, toradol, valium all at once.

In ER: IV dilaudid + toradol + benadryl (synergistic to enhance effect of other two)

Hope this helps,

Lily

Hi Kerry,

I live in the US.Was recently diagnosed with ATN and am on tegretol and klonopin.

Hello Kerry,

I live in the US and have ATN on the right side. I take Lyrica, Trileptal and Tramadol. I was given Cymbalta but didn't like it.

Hope all of us have a pain free/less New Year!

Dianna

Gabapentin… Chicago,IL…USA…Five years into TN, I have not had any pain for 2.25 years and the Gabapentin is what was effective in the past.Im in pain so feel we may be changing meds.

Hi Kerry,

This is very interesting, thanks!

I have atypical tn on the left side.

I have had Gamma Knife and curently on Lamictal, 400mg and Baclofen 40mg.

I have been on Neurotin, Tegretol, Lyrica, and Topomax.

USA - TN - Type 1, ATN, neuralgia that affects throat, tongue, voice; gabapentin, phenytoin sodium, topirimate, alprazolam, Lidocaine patch & amitriptyline. I've tried Tegretol, Trileptol, Lyrica, Baclofen, Klonopin and others. In all, I've tried 26 different meds.

I use Dilaudid, Oxycodone and/or Tramadol for break-through pain. I also have to take Benadryl for the itching caused by some of these.

Turns out I have allergies to codeine and morphine - found out when I code-blue'd in the hospital!

Jackie M.

At this point MVD surgery helped my Typical TN. Am just on Neurontin for ATN. In the past had been on everything commonly used for TN at one point or another. As I am recovery I fought taking Narcotics, but asked for Vicodan when the pain got to bad.

I’m currently in the USA. I was diagnosed with TN (all three neurologists I went to, neither specified tn or ATN but from what I’ve read, it’s ATN because of the constant pain) in 2007 in Ohio. We went through the whole slew of medications. Tegretol as was needed to diagnose the condition, helped a lot but it made me forgetful and stupid and so we went on to try the rest.

The most successful combination was trileptal (Dr. From Cleveland clinic) and Cymbalta (Dr. from the Philippines). Along with vitamins. I notice I feel so much better when I take the vitamin Bs and D and top it off with multivitamins.

For breakthrough pain, as long I don’t let it get too bad, Oxycodone with Valium (as was suggested by ER people) helps, but once it gets really bad, Dilaudid tablets hardly help and the only way to get rid of the pain is by pain meds given thru IV. shots and everything else wont work.

I was pain free for more than a year, until I started taking BP medications which has triggered the pain, and have been in non stop pain for more than a month now.

Hi Kerry US I have tried Gabapetin, for Bilateral face pain high dosage current med’s Oxcarbazepin,Lyricia,Carisoprodol and Propranolol.