Quantcast

Living With Facial Pain

TENS Units


#1

Hey All

Just wondering if anyone had used or heard of TENS units and what you thought of them? Thinking of getting one and thought I would check with you all first...


#2

Hey Girl,
Yes I’ve used it before. I liked it and think it helped. My chiro used it on me. Feels kinda weird. One time it triggered an attack so just be careful how high you turn it up. You may need to slowly build up to it. You def can’t use it while you are in pain…it has to be while you are feeling good. I’m no pro I just think that way would be the safest way to start. When I researched it in the past I found this post from a guy with TN. He was using it often and one day by accident he turned it way up or fell asleep with it on (I can’t remember which one) but once he realized and shut it off he never had pain again. I’m NOT suggesting you do that (lol )I am just saying people do use it for TN and it has worked for some. It’s a zappy little machine…I would test it out on another body part before you use it on your face. My chiro but it on diff parts of my face and also a pad behind my ear where the root of the nerve runs.Maybe you can find one at a local chiro to try before you invest in one. They are used to treat all kinds of pains so it shouldn’t be hard to find one to test out.Good luck!


#3

Hi Michaela, I have one for treatment on my arm. They’re supposed to make the nerves feel better, at least that’s what my last physical therapist said. I stopped using it, it seemed to aggravate the nerve after a while. Do you have a neurologist to check with?


#4

Julie Nolte said:

Michaela,

I’m having surgery in the next month (hopefully) to have a Facial Nerve Stimulator connected to my trigeminal nerve. I’m going to keep everyone updated. I’m told it’s a new procedure, only two others have had this.
It’s kind of like a TENS unit, I’m told.

#5

I’ve heard about that procedure but haven’t spoken to anyone that has had it done so I am very interested in your results, hopefully they are very positive for you! What made you want to have this surgery? Have you had any other surgeries? I have had 3 different surgeries and am running low on options for future surgeries. My TN is extremely bad and am on very high doses of meds so to find a new surgery to help would be amazing. Good luck and please keep us posted with your surgery and its results!!!

Julie Nolte said:

Julie Nolte said:
Michaela,

I’m having surgery in the next month (hopefully) to have a Facial Nerve Stimulator connected to my trigeminal nerve. I’m going to keep everyone updated. I’m told it’s a new procedure, only two others have had this. It’s kind of like a TENS unit, I’m told.


#6

Michaela I have had two other surgeries, a nerve block and gamma knive surgery. I am really hopeful with the facial nerve stimulator which is similar to a Tens unit. I will keep everyone posted.

Michaela said:

I’ve heard about that procedure but haven’t spoken to anyone that has had it done so I am very interested in your results, hopefully they are very positive for you! What made you want to have this surgery? Have you had any other surgeries? I have had 3 different surgeries and am running low on options for future surgeries. My TN is extremely bad and am on very high doses of meds so to find a new surgery to help would be amazing. Good luck and please keep us posted with your surgery and its results!!!

Julie Nolte said:
Julie Nolte said:
Michaela,

I’m having surgery in the next month (hopefully) to have a Facial Nerve Stimulator connected to my trigeminal nerve. I’m going to keep everyone updated. I’m told it’s a new procedure, only two others have had this. It’s kind of like a TENS unit, I’m told.


#7

The TN Ass UK have put out a warning of using TENS machines on the face previously as they are not made for use on the face - worth checking before you use/buy one! good luck xxx


#8

Thanks for the warning Lisa…there are so many contradicting things I have heard about the TENS unit that my decision changing on a daily basis. My mom (I’m only 23 so my parents are included in all my medical decisions) is very sceptical about the machine and is concerned about the possible reactions of it because I have an extremely intense case of TN and have never had any period of remission in the nearly 4 yrs I’ve had TN so she is extremely fearful that the TENS unit could trigger some serious problems and constant pain for me. I appreciate your information and am now leaning very much toward NOT getting the TENS unit but am still considering anything that will help me.

Lisa Higgs said:

The TN Ass UK have put out a warning of using TENS machines on the face previously as they are not made for use on the face - worth checking before you use/buy one! good luck xxx

#9

Well Im 38 and my parents are involved in all my medical decisions too!!!

Check out www.tnauk.org.uk There is a short sentance on TENS on the forum page, there may be more info on there too but Ive not looked !!

I have a tens machine but personally after using it on my back in childbirth I wouldnt put it on my face as its quite a strong feeling!! good luck and let me know how you get on - Love and Light Lise x

Michaela said:

Thanks for the warning Lisa…there are so many contradicting things I have heard about the TENS unit that my decision changing on a daily basis. My mom (I’m only 23 so my parents are included in all my medical decisions) is very sceptical about the machine and is concerned about the possible reactions of it because I have an extremely intense case of TN and have never had any period of remission in the nearly 4 yrs I’ve had TN so she is extremely fearful that the TENS unit could trigger some serious problems and constant pain for me. I appreciate your information and am now leaning very much toward NOT getting the TENS unit but am still considering anything that will help me.


Lisa Higgs said:
The TN Ass UK have put out a warning of using TENS machines on the face previously as they are not made for use on the face - worth checking before you use/buy one! good luck xxx

#10

I’m learning that this is a procedure different from a standard TENS.

Here’s more information.

The electrodes will run through my cheek and connect directly to the trigeminal nerve.

There will be a two week trial period. If it helps the stimulator will be implanted in my hi permanently.

My doctor tells me only two other people have had this procedure thus far. I’ll be the third.

And I will let you all know how it goes.


#11

i only tried it once with my chiropractor but it triggered a massive attack instead of helping it backfired on me so i think its like playing russion roulet it will help some and others it shoots a bullet through the face so i would be careful i have had mixed reviews from everyone who has tried it.


#12

i tried a TENS unit once for 20 minutes; it increased my pain for over a month. i think it made the nerve even more hyperexcited, as if it needed any more electrical energy.


#13

The unit used to treat TN is not a Tens unit but a Pens unit. While very similar in the concept they are different. I am appaled that doctors are telling TN patients to use Tens units on their faces for their TN. Everything I was told and read made it clear this is very dangerous. I have a Tens unit I use for my fibromyaliga and while I swear by it for that I do not use it past my shoulders. Have been looking into a Pens unit as a treatment option for my TN. There is a week long trial period where the electordes are placed on the skin. Then if shown to work, they are inplanted just below the skin and the situmulator is placed underneath the collar bone. If the TN relief from the Pens unit is anything like the pain relief I have gotten from the fibro from my Tens unit, I will be happy. Then again, like what has been said, it could be a total bust. Will not know until the trial is done.


#14

I've always heard the TENS unit was dangerous to use on your face. I've had TN for 24 years. They had a CENS unit back when I was a kid. It looked like something off of Frankenstine. It had sponges that were damp that you put on each side of your temples wires that connected and a band that held the sponges to your face. When you turned the machine on, it caused your vision to go crazy. I noticed now those aren't available so I'm guessing the FDA pulled them. I'm interested in the implantable device.


#15

I tried my tens unit on my face out of desperation and it Definetly made my pain worse for a few hours. Sleep always seems to reset my pain level