Quantcast

Stomach Bloating with Carbamazepine (Tegretol) Use

I've been taking Carbamazepine (tegretol) for about a month or so now, 200 mgs. per day. The doctor just told me to go up to 400 mgs. per day but I haven't just yet.

Does it cause anyone else to have bad bloating, stomach distension? I can eat a regular meal and feel as if I've eaten an entire cow, seriously. I'm miserable and am wondering if it's this medicine. UGH!

Can totally relate to the stomach bloating and also feel very full after after a meal, even a light one just as you describe. Thought I was the only one! Have gained some weight with Gabapentin, generic for Neurontin. I take a total of 1200mg 4 times a day now, started with 300mg 3 times a day that had to be upped as it was not strong enough and now, like most of us with TN1 or TN2, I have good and bad days. Have you gained any weight with yours? Am scheduled for the Sphenopalatine Ganglion (SPG) procedure this Wednesday, please pray for me...will post update in a few weeks. Take care, Merry Christmas and a Happy & Healthier New Year to all members.

Hi, ran across your discussion about the Trileptal, I was on it for a year, suffered horrible bloating, distention and was full after a couple of bites. It felt as if the stomach was not able to contract and digest, lost 22 pounds in 4months. Came off this med and s/s got better after a month, but not to completely as I was before this med, my doctor restarted me on this and now back to the same problems after a month, I am weaned off (2 weeks)but still having s/s bloating, upper abdominal pain, would like to know how your symtoms are and if still taking trileptal