Quantcast

Living With Facial Pain

Dr. Ian Dunn, Brigham & Women's Hospital, Boston, MA


#1

I had my MCD performed by Dr. Ian Dunn at Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston, MA in May, 2012 and cannot say enough good things about him and his staff. I am now 9 months post op and 100% pain free. I deal with surgeons on a daily basis, you can have a great surgeon who is a lousy person, a great person who is a lousy surgeon, Dr. Dunn is a great surgeon and a great person. His PA is amazingly responsive and I have never once been made to feel rushed or that my time was less important than theirs. I feel amazingly lucky to have been treated by Dr. Dunn and can't recommend him enough to other TN patients.


#2

Hi Mojo

had MVD at MGH 6 months after surgery i started with pain again and increase in my symptoms, its ben 18 months still cannot sleep on my left side where craniotomy was done . Just diagnosed in Jan 2103 right side. Was scheduled for surgery in february had to cancel. very much afraid if this happens on right how will i ever sleep. My doctor only spens about 10 minutes with his patients have serious problem with this. would love your feedback.

Joanne


#3

Hi Joanne!

So sorry to hear about the trouble you're having. When I was getting opinions for my procedure I met with one surgeon who literally spent maybe 10 minutes with me---and this was for an initial eval---did almost no physical exam and then went on to select a surgical date for me without an ounce of my input. Needless to say I put a stop to that and he absolutely was NOT touching my brain!! I work with surgeons for a living so I get that they're busy, have a million things to do that as a patient you will never know about but that doesn't change the fact that they need to look at you as a human being, not as medical record number 123456. If you're not comfortable with the doctor it may be time for a second opinion. Even if you are comfortable with your doctor, a second opinion is never a bad idea, especially if you have questions or concerns!! Dr. Dunn was my second opinion, I'm at 11 months post op and absolutely no pain on the right side. Did you wind up canceling your surgery because of your concerns about pain or was it something else? Also, what is your doctor doing for the pain you're currently having?

Thanks!

Mojo


#4

Mojo he wanted to rhiziotomy for some reason was not xcomfortable with this, its funny more uncomfortable about that minor procedure than MVD. I dont like to say any deregatory about docs. I am myself a retired nurse. I hav two spinal neurosurgeons at MGH that I love, they do not do MVD. They have been wonderful to me with my spine. have had 8 lower lumbar surgeries. Always caring, spending as much time as I need to explain things to me. Thats very important to me as well as being good neurosurgeons. on my first lumbar surgery had a very unpleasant experience with him, as a nurse I had great respect for him thats why I chose him. Being his patient was hell. My surgeon that did my MVD did not spend alot of time with me no matter waht visit it was, I always ended up coming home and would email him. I have alot of short term memory loss, so for me I need a little more time with my doctor. This has been a big thorn in my side. I did read up on Dr Dunn, my first impression when I saw his face was immediate appears to be a doctor I would love to see . Also having read healthgrades and other sites rating doctors were remarkable 5 out 5, 4 out of 4. then I read your story and it convinced me that maybe he is someone I would like to get a second opinion on. Ispoke with another doctors office at MGH they said they dont do re-dos. Its crazy when my husband first saw my neurosurgeon of 17 years he told my husband sometimes they have to go in a second time especially when the compression is from a vein. Mine was the largest this surgeon ever worked on decompressed in four areas. felt good until 6 month maark then Bam hit me again only now I had more ear pain and pain in the corner of my left eye. I am confused dont know what to do. I emailed him back 6 weeks ago no response , resent the email no response. can I ask you do you work at Brigham? how did you decide on Dr Dunn?

Thanks for your help

Joanne


#5

Hi Joanne,

Sometimes it's worse when you work in the medical field and they know you work in the medical field. You expect a certain level of care, some folks expect you to be okay with a not so great level of care because, come on, you know what this is like! As far as I'm concerned it doesn't matter what you do for a living, YOU'RE A PATIENT!!!!! I do not work at the Brigham but I've been a patient there for years as well as several family members for various other ailments.

I decided that Dr. Dunn was going to be the surgeon to do this procedure when I met him, he looked me in the eye, shook my hand and asked me what he could do to help me. Basically he treated me like a human being, made me feel comfortable with having the procedure and gave me an immense feeling of confidence in his abilities. His PA is wonderful and one of the most responsive people I've ever worked with. Since you're in this area it sounds like it wouldn't be too much trouble to get to the Brigham and honestly I can't recommend Dr. Dunn enough.

I know it's hard to up and start over, going through your whole story with someone new isn't very appealing and no one is saying you have to do that, but the more knowledge you have the better off you will be. If nothing else Dr. Dunn is a great guy and will spend all the time you need him to spend with you. He does not do touch and go office visits!

tatto20 said:

Mojo he wanted to rhiziotomy for some reason was not xcomfortable with this, its funny more uncomfortable about that minor procedure than MVD. I dont like to say any deregatory about docs. I am myself a retired nurse. I hav two spinal neurosurgeons at MGH that I love, they do not do MVD. They have been wonderful to me with my spine. have had 8 lower lumbar surgeries. Always caring, spending as much time as I need to explain things to me. Thats very important to me as well as being good neurosurgeons. on my first lumbar surgery had a very unpleasant experience with him, as a nurse I had great respect for him thats why I chose him. Being his patient was hell. My surgeon that did my MVD did not spend alot of time with me no matter waht visit it was, I always ended up coming home and would email him. I have alot of short term memory loss, so for me I need a little more time with my doctor. This has been a big thorn in my side. I did read up on Dr Dunn, my first impression when I saw his face was immediate appears to be a doctor I would love to see . Also having read healthgrades and other sites rating doctors were remarkable 5 out 5, 4 out of 4. then I read your story and it convinced me that maybe he is someone I would like to get a second opinion on. Ispoke with another doctors office at MGH they said they dont do re-dos. Its crazy when my husband first saw my neurosurgeon of 17 years he told my husband sometimes they have to go in a second time especially when the compression is from a vein. Mine was the largest this surgeon ever worked on decompressed in four areas. felt good until 6 month maark then Bam hit me again only now I had more ear pain and pain in the corner of my left eye. I am confused dont know what to do. I emailed him back 6 weeks ago no response , resent the email no response. can I ask you do you work at Brigham? how did you decide on Dr Dunn?

Thanks for your help

Joanne


#6

Thanks Mojo I have been traveling to Boston because of my neurosurgeons that take care of my spine. I dont mind the drive and neither does my husband as long as I feel better and get better. Dr Dunn sounds amazing and his healthgrades are also. Can ask you how many MVD’s has he done. Is this a procedure that he specializes in? You have given me alot of insight into this doctor appreciate this so much. Will be in touch Mojo. So happy your doing well, god bless you
My Best
Joanne


#7

Hi Joanne,

I'm not 100% sure how many MVDs he has done, but it is one of his specialties. Good luck and keep us posted!!

tatto20 said:

Thanks Mojo I have been traveling to Boston because of my neurosurgeons that take care of my spine. I dont mind the drive and neither does my husband as long as I feel better and get better. Dr Dunn sounds amazing and his healthgrades are also. Can ask you how many MVD's has he done. Is this a procedure that he specializes in? You have given me alot of insight into this doctor appreciate this so much. Will be in touch Mojo. So happy your doing well, god bless you
My Best
Joanne

#8

Mojo cannot thank you enough for the information you have been to provide me. Especially your personal experiences has given me great insight to make an informative decison on what to do next. For me the more I read and speak with people the better it makes me feel. Knowledge is such a powerful tool. I think its being in the medical profession always assessing and planning LOL. I will defintely keep in touch with you and lastly. I want to wish you the very best with your continued recovery its wonderful to hear the good news of positive outcomes with this terrible disorder. God bless You!

My Best to you

Joanne


#9

Hi Mojo,

We spoke a few times you had MVD a year ago ,first how are you doing I hope things are going well for you since your surgery. You highly recommended Dr Dunn. Since our last conversation I have been chasing my tail. Should or should not make an appt. Well today I made an appt with Dr Dunn. I will see him on June 5th. So looking forward to this appt. I am very excited to meet him and of course see what he can do for me if anything. Thanks for the recommendation will keep you posted.

My Best

Joanne(tatto20)


#10

Hi Joanne!!

I'm so glad to hear you're going to see Dr. Dunn!!!! Definitely keep me posted and when you're there tell them Meagan sent you and says hello to both Dr. Dunn and his PA, Seth. (I don't think they'd know me by Mojo. ;-)) BTW, today is my one year anniversary WITH NO PAIN!

Good luck and let me know!

Mojo

tatto20 said:

Hi Mojo,

We spoke a few times you had MVD a year ago ,first how are you doing I hope things are going well for you since your surgery. You highly recommended Dr Dunn. Since our last conversation I have been chasing my tail. Should or should not make an appt. Well today I made an appt with Dr Dunn. I will see him on June 5th. So looking forward to this appt. I am very excited to meet him and of course see what he can do for me if anything. Thanks for the recommendation will keep you posted.

My Best

Joanne(tatto20)


#11

I knew your anniversary date was may 21st, thats so awesome meghan that your still pain free! This gives me hope I really need it been bed bound or home bound for a good 4 years now. I am optimistic and excited to meet Dr Dunn. I will keep you posted and thanks again Meghan

My Brst

Joannexo


#12

I know this is an old discussion but I hope everyone is pain free. It was just suggested to me that I see Dr. Dunn. I had seen another neurosurgeon at BWH, so I feel like it would be cheating, but it is my brain right?! This post makes me feel pretty good about making an appointment with him!

-LBHiker


#13

You should never feel like you're cheating on a doctor, you're entitled to as many opinions as you want and just like you said, IT'S YOUR BRAIN!!!! Dr. Dunn is wonderful and his PA Seth is amazing. Just hit my two year anniversary from my MVD and not a single twinge on that side since my surgery. I can't say enough about Dr. Dunn, if you do go see him please tell him Meagan says hello and good luck!!!

LBHiker said:

I know this is an old discussion but I hope everyone is pain free. It was just suggested to me that I see Dr. Dunn. I had seen another neurosurgeon at BWH, so I feel like it would be cheating, but it is my brain right?! This post makes me feel pretty good about making an appointment with him!

-LBHiker


#14

Hey Joanne ,your story sounds like mine… I to had MVD surgery at MGH in Boston7 months ago , didn’t work can’t sleep on left side where he did craniotomy still have terrible pressure and pain in head worse when laying Downmy doc doesn’t spend mor then 10 min with me also??? It sounds like we have the same Dr.?