Quantcast

Living With Facial Pain

Anyone find Baclofen helps addictions?

Strange question time, but I’ve just been reading a book where the doctor in question uses Baclofen to treat his own alcoholism. I know quite a lot of sufferers on here use Baclofen, particularly for Type 2 TN and atypical, and I just wondered if anyone had found it helped with addictive urges or behaviour. I suffer from Binge Eating Disorder (as well as having TN!) but I’ve only ever used standard anticonvulsants and, briefly, low dose antidepressants (not helpful). I know addiction is not a TN issue but the problems with it and the anxiety it produces certainly doesn’t help TN pain, and in my case, my TN is sensitive to sweet so my addictive eating is a very real problem for me TN-wise.

I appreciate you might not want to discuss your addictions in public! But I’m really just looking for the broadest strokes, and you don’t need to have a full-blown addiction to suffer from cravings or compulsive behaviour, so any anecdotal information, if you have used Baclofen, as to whether you found it was having a happy side effect of helping addictions would be really interesting.

I know this a long shot but I’ve always found everyone on these boards to be really game for discussing anything new and innovative so thought I’d ask!

The school of thought for treatment of binge eating disorder right now is low level ADHD meds (adderall, vyvanse) and counseling, you have to do them together.

Binge eating disorder is not considered addiction so I would stay away from “addiction” type treatments if I were you. Binge eating disorder is currently considered an eating disorder - often with emotional issues beneath it.

azurelle

Appreciate the input, Azurelle, but I’m not sure who doesn’t recognise binge eating disorder as having an addictive element. Certainly not the people who suffer from it. Given that they generally binge-eat high fat/high sugar foods and that neural pathways get forged around those foods precisely because they have addictive qualities, I’d say addiction plays a strong part in BED. Also, if you take a list of the behaviours associated with BED you’ll find they tick all the DSM (is that the right abbreviation?) boxes for addiction. It’s recognised that people can be addicted to food and eating - if BED sufferers are not addicted to food, I don’t know who is. Also, I don’t know of ANY addiction, from shopping to mainlining heroin, that doesn’t have “emotional issues beneath it” - I’d pretty much say that the need to escape/distract from emotional issues defines addiction.

Having addictive elements is not the same as an addiction. I was just stating the current treatment therapies and the fact that currently binge disorder is not considered an addiction, it’s considered an eating disorder and treatment (which is fairly new) is not with addiction treatment but with eating disorder therapies and certain low level ADHD meds. Currently these methods have been most successful. Addiction treatment has not proven to be successful at this point with that issue.

---- Woman_with_the_elect ■■■■ wrote:

Hi
I used baclofin along with some other drugs for hemi facial spasm, its a nerve next to TN, ended up with an mvd.
With its long term used i had nausea problem having tea or other necotine related things including smoking. Eating is somewhat only related to stress only.

Well, I’m going to be contentious here and say that having “addictive elements” is just addiction - no point in fussying it up! Also I don’t think having an eating disorder label precludes addiction also being present, or even it being the underlying cause, particularly with compulsive overeating and binge-eating. Lastly, there is a lot of research on food addiction, sugar addiction and the addictive qualities of 50/50 sugar/fat foods (which don’t occur in nature - other than as mother’s milk, maybe - I feel I read that somewhere!) The food industry relies on that research, albeit for a whole other less helpful reason! Quite a few people treat binge-eating with addiction therapy ( I recommend Kathryn Hansen) and there is a whole big fat volume of research papers called “Food & Addiction: a comprehensive handbook” from Oxford University Press, which contains work from many of the research scientists currently studying all aspects of the obesogenic environment and food addictions. It’s also a very old and well-known fact that recovering alcoholics often take up sweet eating as a replacement and can find themselves with dental problems and obesity as a result. If sugar didn’t have addictive qualities they wouldn’t consume it in a desperate attempt to replace the ‘high’.

I think the fact that the medical world doesn’t recognise binge eating as a food addiction is about as meaningful as them not recognising nutrition in medical schools. All it proves is they are horribly out-of-date and that nothing cutting edge makes it into mainstream medicine until 50 years have passed and 40,000 unnecessary deaths have occurred!

Hi Taimoor, that’s very interesting. I wonder if that (nausea) mechanism is playing a role then, since tea (caffeine) and smoking are both addictive substances. I didn’t read the book through because I don’t want to take Baclofen at present, but that’s a very interesting possibility - thanks!

True… and sorry i typed necotine instead, i meant was caffine* lolz. Anyway… wish you recover soon and bacline is unfortunately a temporary solution.
Regards

Tell the people if OA (overeaters annonymous) that it isn’t an addiction. It truly is. to answer your question I am addicted to sugar and baclofen doesn’t help

Thanks, Siminative, that’s really helpful. It could be, of course, that you’re not taking enough. I believe he was using very high doses. Can I ask how much Baclofen you take a day?